Cover Letters

Enda Goodwin

Field Agent

Field Agent

Never send a resume to a potential employer or to a recruiter without a good cover letter. The letter underscores how your skills and accomplishments, along with your career goals, make you an outstanding candidate for that particular position. It also eliminates the need to restructure a resume to match each job opening.

General cover letter do's and don'ts

• Don't just restate the accomplishments verbatim from the resume. The purpose of the letter is to arouse the interest of the reader and make them want to read the resume.
  • Start with a brisk statement that describes who you are and what you want.
  • Use the next few sentences - or bullets - for your "sales" pitch, based upon your strengths and achievements. Use Your Accomplishment Stories.
  • Conclude with an action statement such as saying you'll call in a few days to arrange an appointment for an interview or to answer further questions about your skills.
  • Don't say more than you have to. Try to stay away from boxing yourself in on salary requirements by indicating "my salary requirements are negotiable" - or not commenting on them at all.

General Cover Letter Formatting

Date

Address

Salutation,

Paragraph One: Explain why you are writing in a way that arouses interest. Display your knowledge of the reader's company or group.

Paragraph Two: Briefly describe your qualifications and accomplishments and identify the relevant job title.

Paragraph Three: Answer the question: "Why should I hire you?" Relate yourself to the company or group. (Omit this if you need a shorter letter.)

Paragraph Four: Take the initiative, request action, ask for an interview, suggest a time to meet and tell employer when you will call.

Sincerely,

Name

Encl: Resume

Even if you're sending resumes electronically, there is likely the chance to copy and paste your cover letter on the application or to send as an attachment. If this option is provided, take advantage of it. You'll set yourself apart from the rest.

Field Agent

Field Agent

Sample Cover Letters

Sample Letter 1 - Direct Target

NAME
Address
CSZ
(000) 123-1234

Date

Company
Address
City, State Zip

Dear Hiring Manager:

A company is the acknowledged leader in its field when its name reaches “generic” product status.  Now to millions of people shipping overnight means “Company Name.”

To remain the leader in its field, a company needs success-oriented professionals to grow with the organization.  I offer these traits.

My background as it relates to your current needs includes the following areas of expertise:

• Proven ability to identify and capitalize on new business opportunities; consistently ranked in top 25%.
  • Developed financial strategies combining quality service and pricing to maximize profits and improve customer satisfaction.
  • Strong computer background with major hi-tech companies.  Experience includes help desk, software development and networks.

My geographical preference is Atlanta however I am open to relocation.  I am targeting positions with a total compensation package of $85k.

I look forward to the opportunity to discuss further how my skills and experience can contribute to the rapid growth of company name.  Please feel free to call me at (000) 123-1234.

Sincerely,

Your Name

Sample Letter 2 - Contact Referred Networking Letter

NAME
Email

Address
City, State Zip
Telephone

Date

Mr. John Smith
President
Company
Address
City, State Zip

Dear Mr. Smith:

Jane Smith and I were having lunch last Wednesday and your name came up in conversation.  Jane suggested you might be a good source to contact for information regarding the trends in landscape architecture in the D.C. metropolitan area.  

For the last 12 years, I have honed my skills as a planner, designer and architect of landscapes for small and large-scale developments.  I have managed budgets of over $2.4 million, and coordinated projects for housing, shopping and convention complexes. I am seeking a senior position in an architectural firm or a leading construction corporation.

I will be visiting the Washington, D.C. area the week of April 27th and would like to take a few minutes of your time to discuss my search with you.  I will call you to see if a convenient time can be arranged.

Sincerely,

Your Name