Your Exit Statement

Enda Goodwin

Field Agent

Field Agent

Your exit statement concisely answers the question, “Why are you looking for a new job?" It’s not the same as your answer when people ask what you do. When talking with someone one-on-one or in a group setting, lead with your professional brand and bring up the exit statement when asked about your current employer, situation, or role at your company.

Think of it as your "press release" because it is the device that tells the world about your transition. An effective exit statement is brief, non-defensive, and positive. When applicable, it lets others know that your departure was not due to any fault of yours.

Share your exit statement with your references to make sure a consistent message is delivered.

Your exit statement consists of two basic parts:

1. Why you left your job. Keep this part as short as possible. Never say anything negative about your previous boss or company.
  2. What position you are looking for. Sound positive and enthusiastic. Get in something about your qualifications, but keep it fairly brief.

Here's an example:
As a result of the merger of Joshua Tree Industries and GreenLeaf Products, 300 positions were eliminated, including mine. I am now exploring opportunities in the food industry that will take full advantage of my extensive management experience, as well as my engineering and manufacturing background.

Using the Exit Statement Template , write a careful statement that explains why you are in the market for a new position, and practice it aloud so that you become skilled at delivering it without sounding too scripted. The goal here is for you to have thought this out so you can answer the question comfortably.