What do you consider to be a long time?

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

Just a general question and rant, What do you consider to be a long time? 3 months? 6 months? 1 Year? 10 Years? 

Having been in ONI for a long time now my concept of time is different than most of the smaller clans that jump in and out of #lobby (Discord) asking to be allies today but no longer be around tomorrow. Then come around when we ask hey, how's said clan and they respond its no longer around our last chat was a "long time ago" (2-3 months) it sounds like its an expectation that clans don't last long but also 3 months is a long time. 

Sure so much can happen within 3 months but is that really a long time ago? 

Resident Agent in Charge

Resident Agent in Charge

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

From my experience for a clan to last a "long" time its over a year. But i find with most clans that start up it is the one month mark where they generally end if they dont reach their expectations. 3-6 months i feel is your average clan life span. 

But for me 1 year is a "long" and from 0-6 would be "short" but i think that comes with time and experience. Plus with the age of information everything moves so quickly now where 2-3 months may seem like a long time for younger generations.

Attendant

Attendant

• [Y] EARLY RETIREMENT

A long time in a clan to me would range around 7-8 months in. Clans are very time sensitive, rather that be in the actual clans lifespan or the availability of the those within it. Most people join clans in their early teens and will bounce around and check out other clans, factions and all of the possibilities. Since a lot of these newer community members are teens they have a good three-four years to play before adulting shows up. I’ve seen more clans lose their most iconic members due to them growing out of being able to play clans. A lot leave for the armed forces and can’t play Xbox relatively ever, some move to college, start full time jobs or fall in love. 

In my time in clans I’ve made lots of amazing friends and watched them leave as they do their lives away from clans. Everyone wants to rise in a clan and earn ranks and power. Most clans 7-8 months can get you relatively far but in a way I feel Semper is a bit different, I’ve been with the clan for roughly nearing five years now and I’m only an O1. So I feel the concept of time in a clan depends on how much you get out of that limited time when you join this community. There’s only so much time before you can’t do Halo, only a few of us get the luxury of a comfortable life that can include free time to do Roleplay based activities. 

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕
9 minutes ago, Harry Cramb said:

From my experience for a clan to last a "long" time its over a year. But i find with most clans that start up it is the one month mark where they generally end if they dont reach their expectations. 3-6 months i feel is your average clan life span. 

But for me 1 year is a "long" and from 0-6 would be "short" but i think that comes with time and experience. Plus with the age of information everything moves so quickly now where 2-3 months may seem like a long time for younger generations.

I think the key to it is just that, younger generations have more time but also see time relatively faster than us. 3-6 months is nothing to me whereas to someone whose 12 is literally way more playing time in assassinations tower and fatkid. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Morris said:

A long time in a clan to me would range around 7-8 months in. Clans are very time sensitive, rather that be in the actual clans lifespan or the availability of the those within it. Most people join clans in their early teens and will bounce around and check out other clans, factions and all of the possibilities. Since a lot of these newer community members are teens they have a good three-four years to play before adulting shows up. I’ve seen more clans lose their most iconic members due to them growing out of being able to play clans. A lot leave for the armed forces and can’t play Xbox relatively ever, some move to college, start full time jobs or fall in love. 

In my time in clans I’ve made lots of amazing friends and watched them leave as they do their lives away from clans. Everyone wants to rise in a clan and earn ranks and power. Most clans 7-8 months can get you relatively far but in a way I feel Semper is a bit different, I’ve been with the clan for roughly nearing five years now and I’m only an O1. So I feel the concept of time in a clan depends on how much you get out of that limited time when you join this community. There’s only so much time before you can’t do Halo, only a few of us get the luxury of a comfortable life that can include free time to do Roleplay based activities. 

Since moving websites which was practically two years ago now tracking promotions and logistics have gone to shit, partly the administrative panel we had visibility of who was here how long to easily check each week for who needed to be assessed for promotion and the other half of that problem is just no staff to strictly follow that. 5 years altogether would typically mean you would be at O7, but I think you joined and left for a bit as Rebuiltparty35 and maybe some other things along the road. I know its relentless and defeating but its gotten easier if anything. Most of us Officers have a ridiculous tax where we need to meet the current requirements to go up which further makes time feel slower (having the ranking system updated every year has been a blessing and a curse) 

Overall it makes sense that people outside of ONI view time differently, especially clans with no documentation or digital footprint. 

• 4 months later...
Junior Attendant

Junior Attendant

• [G] CONTRACTOR
On 1/21/2021 at 9:42 PM, Shawn4Japan said:

Sure so much can happen within 3 months but is that really a long time ago? 

No, 3 months is a blink in the eye for an active clan. I ran my own before I joined ONI, around 30 dudes and dudettes. Full lobbies in reach on the daily. We lasted nearly 6 years before life forced my hand to shut down. “A long time” should be a year minimum.