Nationstates text-based game

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

I don't know too much about it but it might be interesting to some here. A game completely based on your political views/ideas with a random number generator to add to how your ideal government exercises all of its actions. Not sure how deep it is again, legislatively if you write your own manifesto to law but its something else.

[ https://www.nationstates.net/ ]

The person that introduced this is also quite the character.

Field Agent

Field Agent

first post in a while hi everyone how are y'all. I've gone on here periodically the last 24 hours looking over this text based game and I think its very interesting. So to start your introduced to the nation screen which is like the character customization menu in RPGs. You make a name which is ran against everyone else to see if its free and real world nations past and present are restricted. you get the default flags of all nations however if you don't upload a custom one. You choose how your people are addressed, what your main standpoints are, conscription, law enforcement, market, and cannabis, and a basic over all ideology and what kind of government your constitution creates. I'll link mine so everyone can see a basic idea of what one looks like, but it is very strange as your are periodically sent "issues" which you get 2-6 options to handle which reflect on your economy, civil rights, and political freedoms. your overarching government model shifts as well as I started as a confederation, with a moralistic democracy. I am now a New York Times democracy/ New York Crimes democracy. the game does this weird thing with different governments where if you make a certain choice the proper name is struck out and replaced with a negative play on it. At the moment I have a mining industry in the top 10% of the nations in the world.
NationStates | The Confederacy of Dixie Peoples

Special Agent

Special Agent

• [Y] EARLY RETIREMENT

I've asked some colleagues about this site and the general consensus is that it is a prop up to the books Max Barry has written. Essentially he made that site, or had the site created to support his hypothesis on social psychology but also expanding it to let people do the above.

Of the books I can see he's published the closest one is probably Jennifer Government, Lexicon seems to be more popular and it looks like he recently released a new book called Providence. Might be an interesting read if this nationstates game is as popular as the activity feed makes it out to be.