Thoughts on Afghanistan

New Harry Cramb

Resident Agent in Charge

Resident Agent in Charge

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

I know this is highly political but im curious to hear peoples thoughts on the situation that has came about there. 

Personally i felt that this was inevitable in any withdrawal that the taliban would declare war and try to take over again but i didnt expect such a rapid expansion/take over of the entire country. 

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

• [R] RESIGNED SERVICEMEN

As a military family it hurts to see US efforts unravel in less than a day. It's a strategic failure, 20 years of occupation for key assets in the region in what is otherwise a beautiful country with rich history. That same 20 years affecting so many lives, veterans and currently deployed. It cannot be a good feeling seeing the years you spent out there go down in a day.

The UN's inaction, as well as NATO should speak for the world in how much this will weigh. Like the issue with Israel this will probably be smothered in other world wide issues. For the US its hard to say if this is indeed a failure or the intended plan for the country, we have had the luxury to observe what goes on in the world to know the CIA/NSA and activities around the proxy wars we practice here in the clan is something of a mystery to those completely outside of the activity. China/Russia could be backing the militants.

There is one thing to observe in the media and that is the Taliban is not seen anywhere actually being an benevolent force. While shots fired and people died it was not an massacre. In the inner city of Kabul it is peaceful and unlike many other cities in the region with blocks bombed and mass graves it is intact. The world can only watch as this is a monumental moment for the puppet state bureaucracy of a terrorist organization to come to its end goal in setting up a new regime. For which side this benefits we don't know, leaving Kabul could only mean we lost.

Auditor

Auditor

• [R] RESIGNED SERVICEMEN
  • ACCESS [3] TOP SECRET

Leaving Kabul and Afghanistan was apart of a deal The Trump administration made with the Taliban group. 

I think that the world is just a little shocked what our presence does when we leave a country who doesn’t want to fight for themselves. If you watch Biden’s latest speech on CNBC his stance is that of; US interests are no longer in Afghanistan. 

• 1 month later...
Auditor

Auditor

Ive been studying Afghanistan for 12 years now. 

Could have told you ages ago that their security forces were worthless. 

Also, negotiation with the Taliban was doomed to fail. There are 14 other insurgent groups there and we barely held a third of the country. 

My only hope is that China tries its hand in there and gets meat grinded by the equipment we left behind. 

As for why we left equipment, thats 20 years of incoming supply trying to leave the country in two years. Wasnt possible. I wish we could have destroyed it, but i dont have the knowledge of why we lacked that ability. 

Edit: I also dont like leaving. Ive had a ton of close pals mangled by that bullshit and it kind of feels like wasted time. As a person involved in reconstruction activities its particularly disheartening. I get why, and I dont know any sustainable alternatives, but it still kicks your noggin in a very uncomfortable way. 

Resident Agent in Charge

Resident Agent in Charge

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

From what i understand all the tech/equipment left behind was for the Afghan army to use but they never did or were trained in how to use it. 

I recall reading something where it was said the contractors paid by america were the ones upkeeping the equipment and the main people operating the machinery and vehicles were also contractors. 

Auditor

Auditor

8 hours ago, Harry Cramb said:

From what i understand all the tech/equipment left behind was for the Afghan army to use but they never did or were trained in how to use it. 

I recall reading something where it was said the contractors paid by america were the ones upkeeping the equipment and the main people operating the machinery and vehicles were also contractors. 

I'll be watching the future of those abandoned drones and helicopters with both great amusement and existential dread. 

Auditor

Auditor

2 hours ago, Canadian Taco5 said:

Some of these guys have fallen for the ole ligma joke so I think we should be fine.

Whats the difference between an ammo dump and a children's hospital?

I don't know. I just fly the drone.