Max forum rank a thing for forums?

Roland

Auditor

Auditor

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

I'm not apart of too many forums but I thought that its usually endless, like we just keep talking for eternity. If there is a max rank and its based off posts and other stuff is there an end to this? Is it worth working up to and posting?

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

This is actually a good question, I am not apart of many forums to know if there is ever a max rank. Here the max rank is Director of course following the theme of ONI but I have thought about making the ranking system on the forums bigger but need to consult with more game theory experts. Also don't want to do something we don't need, Halowaypoint forums only had about 20 ranks that a little far and few between but rewarding in its own right with a few perks the higher rank you were. 

Inevitably that forum had a max rank, but by then the ranks didn't mean anything more than the friendships it made coming up to it. Hopefully we can recreate that experience for new and old Halo players. 

Agent

Agent

• ACCESS [1] CONFIDENTIAL
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER
  • NAVY OFFICER ı O1 ı ENS
  • ONI OPERATIVE

I know on the Archive it was split up into separate communities. Like Lifeworkers, Builders, Miners, to replicate the Forerunner Rates. So they each had their own "end" or top level. But outside of that it was those who ran it who had the "highest" ranks/rates.

🛹

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
On 8/30/2023 at 10:38 PM, Venture Jones said:

I know on the Archive it was split up into separate communities. Like Lifeworkers, Builders, Miners, to replicate the Forerunner Rates. So they each had their own "end" or top level. But outside of that it was those who ran it who had the "highest" ranks/rates.

I remember that actually it was quite complicated but really interesting and fun, I don't even know how they got around to do that but it sounds like something that would work here with different military branches of the UNSC. Something I've avoided is letting staff and leaders just be max rank, I think its more fun to also be grinding along with the members to max rank. In regards to topic I guess they did also have a definitive end to the ranking system, I don't remember how hard it was to climb the ranks and if it was different if you were a Lifeworker vs a Builder. 

Agent

Agent

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER
  • ONI OPERATIVE
On 8/30/2023 at 6:11 PM, Accessing said:

I don't even know how they got around to do that

As former staff, we literally just copied the Forerunner structure. I came in tho near its ending last years, so unsure how they gathered the info to figure it out. But that was the purpose of the Archive, to dig into the lore and theorize all of it.

Unsure how to edit my posts. But on the topic of how hard it was to climb the ranks. Was dependent on each Rate. So Lifeworkers and Builders would have different ways for example. Some Rates had more "leaders" than others, but that was also due to each Rates population. Miners, were the least populated, but they did all the work in locating info. Builders from there would take it over and organize it with them. Really cool cohesive kind of thing.

EDIT: that was cool how it added to my last comment...very neat.

🛹

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
On 9/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, Venture Jones said:

Unsure how to edit my posts. But on the topic of how hard it was to climb the ranks. Was dependent on each Rate. So Lifeworkers and Builders would have different ways for example. Some Rates had more "leaders" than others, but that was also due to each Rates population. Miners, were the least populated, but they did all the work in locating info. Builders from there would take it over and organize it with them. Really cool cohesive kind of thing.

This is really cool, it sounds very unique to HaloArchive and something people would enjoy in a modern forum. I'll have to add to look into something like this probably way later on in the sites development, I definitely want to hear from more people on how it worked out and if they were satisfied climbing that kind of system. One thing I want to do is marry Halo stats with the ranks here too, so in-game kills or score would count towards the site rank in a overall Halo career. Achievements and more where allowed by unofficial APIs could count towards it. 

Agent

Agent

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER
  • ONI OPERATIVE
On 9/3/2023 at 8:30 PM, Accessing said:

I definitely want to hear from more people on how it worked out and if they were satisfied climbing that kind of system

From my experience, most were ok with it and how it worked. But how you moved up was a little odd in a sense it was like merit based. So if you helped a lot in your Rate (Lifeworkers helping hold game nights or gain new members, social stuff or Miners obtaining finite info for the Builders to then organize, etc) you would then move up. I have told past Archivers to check this place out as another new option since the Archive is gone, so hopefully most come here and you can ask them! I got names too if you want to reach out other ways, I dont think those I have in mind, would mind to talk, they'd be happy probably.

🛹