Call of Duty has got a problem.....

LITTLE LEVEL

Special Agent

Special Agent

• ACCESS [1] CONFIDENTIAL
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER

Ok I understand making collaborating with other IPs and real life celebrities can make a game a lot of money but I think there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and well lets say Modern Warfare 2 has destroyed that line. When I got into Call of Duty I never thought Ghost would be getting stabbed to death by Niki Minaj and then respawn, just to have a soldier with a Cat head use a super power from the show "The Boys" and kill him again. If I wanted all that I would play fortnite but I play COD to have a more realistic experience. Now I still love COD and I will buy the new one but if I open up the game to find some popular celebraty using some anime superpower to kill a dog skin I think I just might be done.

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

I don't know where Modern Warfare is going with it, I also don't know how its being implemented but they already were ridiculous since the Call of Duty: WWII title. I think its actually quite funny seeing Nicki Minaj or 21 Savage in the game but it begs the question who and how is this being done. 

If the artists are paying the game and splitting the revenue from skins sold it makes sense, its an easy way for Call of Duty to make more money not just by consumers but by doing B2B with artists and talent management agencies. 

As someone who built the clan ONI to its strengths, role playing was a core offering and in Call of Duty not seeing any of the default operators for that actually sucks. Even if I just thought it was cool its unavailable. I think this conversation can go in any whichway and is a good one to have but it makes me think of the military entertainment industrial complex and creating a wider net for future pursuits. 

Of course no artist could entice me to sign up. 

• 1 month later...
Junior Attendant

Junior Attendant

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

I can totally see where you are coming from. Due to games such as Fortnite becoming as popular as they have, I get the vibe that the Call of Duty developers tried to follow suit only, it really doesn't work too well at all when you think about it on a game such as Call of Duty which is about war and is supposed to be realistic. 

Special Agent

Special Agent

• ACCESS [1] CONFIDENTIAL
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER

I totally agree. I think the problem is too that there are still people that keep giving COD money even though the community just wants the game to be playable not full of new cosmetics.