Is the BR market oversaturated?

LITTLE LEVEL

Special Agent

Special Agent

• ACCESS [1] CONFIDENTIAL
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER

Back in 2018 if you said Battle Royale you may think of pubG or maybe Fortnite but back then the BR market was very small. But after Fortnite's major success Battle Royale games started popping up everywhere. First Apex Legends then Warzone and heck even recently My Hero Academia just released its own BR game. And as fun as the BR genre is I feel like now the BR market is oversaturated. Honestly no mater how many special features the game has or how amazing the map is every BR game feels the same. At least Apex Legends and My Hero Ultra Rumble added their own twists but even then the games still feel the same. Now I still enjoy some BR games and I play them a good bit but I am also ready for a new type of game. what do you guys think? Do you think the BR market is oversaturated?

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

I had to look up the My Hero Academia battle royale, I remember playing the Naruto Shinobi Striker it was kind of stepping into the space with a 3 man team against 4 teams but I don't know. 

I think having more options is better but to be honest there isn't too many I enjoy to play. I can't actually think of all the playable games right now that have the option..

1. Fortnite
  2. Apex Legends
  3. CoD Warzone
  4. PUBG
  5. ???

Honorary mention to Roblox, Fall Guys and Minecraft which all kind of have solid modes for Battle Royale. Halo could even be added now with the capabilities around forge but this doesn't scream over saturated to me. 

Agent

Agent

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

My biggest issue with some of these BR style games is the massive time sink they tend to be, whether it be queueing up for a match, time spend exploring the map/finding enemies, or waiting for the match to be done after you die. Not to mention the massive time investment learning the game, and closing the skill gap between you and the other players. I've been told by several of my friends that Apex Legends gets "good" after about 600 hours of playtime, cause by then you'll know the maps and weapons. To me that's just too high a barrier of entry to try and get into these games as a newbie nowadays.

But that's just my two cents, I think its cool that people like these games, and find real joy out of them, just too many of them and too much time required for me.

R10 Senior Director of the Hard Style Assassins Gaming Community.
HSA 2022 Hall of Fame
Gaming Hub Council Member
He/Him
"Do we bend the rules in service to a greater good? And if we do, what does it say of us?"
"Our Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise."

Special Agent

Special Agent

• ACCESS [1] CONFIDENTIAL
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER
(edited)

You see thats why I quit Apex. Learning the characters abilities is hard and to get the characters I want I have to grind or put money in to the game and I am not gonna choose the latter.  I don't mind games were you choose people with different abilities I actually find them quite fun but Apex is just a whole new type of grind and learning curve.

Edited by CLASSIFIED

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

Yeah come to think of it that's a totally different way of looking at it than I thought of. I typically only play one or two of the beginning free champions because I don't know how to play any other. In that way I am siloed and not necessarily learning more about the game because it took so much time to learn how to play just average with those legends. 

They also change the maps frequently, I don't ever really know what's going on when I play. I just fill a support role with my friends and try not to push before they do.