10 year plan for Halo Infinite

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

Now, I want to preface that I will enjoy Halo for the foreseeable future and will likely continue to look for more ways to make this site and platform sustainable to keep it through the years as always. 

A little before Halo Infinite was introduced it was buzzing around the media that Halo Infinite would be the platform for Halo for the next 10 years. This is, that they will continue to update the game and manage the title for 10 years. Where this sounded great its come to a sad realization that it is likely no new Halo game will come in the form of a new multiplayer experience. Recent rumors have suggested that the next campaign will only be a campaign experience in the same engine and the multiplayer will be an expansion to the current experience. 343 Industries is nearly a 5th, or smaller in size to Activision, Sledgehammer and other studios behind the Call of Duty franchise yet it seems they intend to do the same exact thing that Call of Duty is doing right now. 

While this is all just rumors and whispers on the net there is a very real threat or suspicion to be less dramatic, that Halo is not the face of Xbox and is slowly being sunset. This 10 year plan by design is the sunset process, much like a performance improvement plan is to workers of a company. 

All this to really say that Halo Infinite does not have the future we might all be thinking it does and there are more rumors and signals of this being true in all the noise. 

Agent

Agent

• ONI INTERN

I do seem to recall that, during the Microsoft and Activision-Blizzard trial, a cornucopia of documents and internal memos/emails were leaked regarding Microsofts' various opinions about certain titles and platforms (notably Baldurs Gate 3 which they assumed would flop, hence their late release of the game to their console platforms lol). What was striking was the deafening and notable lack regarding anything 343 or Halo related in all of their internal Comms. Almost like Halo had become a mere forethought in the memory of their active and continual IPs of the era. Sadly, I think they had already judged Halo Infinites merit within the year of its release as far as a  continual and perpetual revenue/player stream amongst their varying and numerous IPs of the era.

But, I am a staunch believer in that any Game publisher or dev can and will often stretch the limits of their good faith and the limits of their maintainable IPs in the pursuit of growth, and Microsoft is at the very outer edges  of said limits. They've stretched too far too fast, and in the process are losing sight in so many areas. Its only a matter of time until that bubble bursts imo, perhaps it already has. I mean just look at Infinites support throughout the last 2 years, or the bungled development and launch of Redfall from their Bethesda branch. Anti-trust and anti-competitive behaviors do have their negative and poignant consequences, above and outside the law. Just look at EPICs landmark win against Googles Alleged anti-competitive behaviors for some fickle albeit concrete proof of this!

That being said, I believe that many titles will be victim to Microsofts practices, rather than unfortunate benefactors or survivors of it much to our dismay.

R10 Senior Director of the Hard Style Assassins Gaming Community.
HSA 2022 Hall of Fame
Gaming Hub Council Member
He/Him
"Do we bend the rules in service to a greater good? And if we do, what does it say of us?"
"Our Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise."

Special Agent

Special Agent

• ACCESS [1] CONFIDENTIAL
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER

I really don't see Halo Infinite being a 10 year project anymore. 343 isn't making any money anymore because they only items I see people wearing are battle pass items or free fracture event items, and the game isn't getting a high number of players and with other big companies launching huge updates and expansions they just can't keep up. Personally I am gonna stay with Halo until its end because I still enjoy it but sadly I think soon the franchise will end.