Pablo Schreiber on taking off Chief's helmet

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

Pablo Schreiber, who plays Master Chief in the Halo show, explained why Master Chief doesn’t always wear his helemet: “You're not going to be able to bring an audience along in a long-form story without having access to a character's face, which tells you what they're feeling, how they think about everything. That access to a character's emotional life, over the course of time, is what makes you empathise and connect with a character.”

"I'm sorry, but it's the only choice for long-form storytelling in television. What I would say to anybody who disagrees with that, I totally respect that opinion. But it's a pretty basic place to start when you're talking about making a television show of quality.” 
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-fans-really-want-master-chief-to-put-his-helmet-back-on-in-season-2

Special Agent

Special Agent

• ACCESS [1] CONFIDENTIAL
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER

Though I see where he is coming from Master Chief was always meant to be a character you actually felt like you were playing as in the campaign. You felt like you were in the chiefs shoes slaying the covenant but even with a non-cannon face reveal people will have a harder time picturing themselves as chief when they play and it will feel more like you are controlling another person.