7.62x39 vs 5.56x45

Jason L Lewis

Agent

Agent

• ACCESS [3] TOP SECRET

Considering the lethality of 5.56, I'd say it's sufficient. The loss of lethality is worth it's loss of mass. More rounds can be carried and therefore allows more time to achieve fire superiority. I'd say it complements modern US military strategy well and its shortfalls are made up for by the armament carried by more specialized roles.

Field Agent

Field Agent

Compelling I personally as a civilian shooter, am a 7.62x39 guy myself. However I do love 5.56 outside of ballistics and weight, the rifles firing it are easy to control and smooth shooters. I personally own a Norinco REPO AK-47 rifle and love how it feels. however after shooting a 5.56 myself and having fired even sillier calibers like 8mm Mauser and have bruised shoulders enough to appreciate intermediates of all sizes. Recoil and kick are big deals in and out of combat so as a civilian I've learned what personally suits me. Doctrinal standards are fine for both honestly. Russian and US combat doctrine are different and they require their own standards. 7.62x39 fits in most if not all AK and PK pattern weapons and 5.56 fits in all AR/M and FN pattern weapons in service by the respective countries. I feel like both have hit such a status its almost unheard of as Firearm enthusiasts to not have a personal preference.