Best VR Headset

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕
3 hours ago, Gregor Adrik said:

I'd honestly wait for the next generation at this point but if you must get a headset now I'd reccomend the Index. It's the most expensive but you get what you pay for.

How long would a wait be for the next generation? My VR set up is something that'll take awhile to get together. The VR headsets I've been looking require space but I don't plan on moving around or any of that. Just sim-racing and pavlov or any fun sit-down ones. 

Trying to replicate this set up. 

image.thumb.png.02bc9c967ee110f077507b99b873e2b5.png

Agent

Agent

• ACCESS [3] TOP SECRET
On 12/4/2020 at 1:10 AM, Shawn4Japan said:

How long would a wait be for the next generation? My VR set up is something that'll take awhile to get together. The VR headsets I've been looking require space but I don't plan on moving around or any of that. Just sim-racing and pavlov or any fun sit-down ones. 

Trying to replicate this set up. 

image.thumb.png.02bc9c967ee110f077507b99b873e2b5.png

As far as an ETA, no one's got any news on the next generation of headsets, but we're pretty sure they are coming.

For a sim pit though, I'd recommend something with the highest resolution or widest field of view depending on what you find more important, but don't compromise below 90hz for refresh rate. The Pimax 8k has the widest FOV available to consumers and a pretty high resolution for the screen size although I think the new Quest has it beat in pixel density.

For your use case, someone that doesn't expect to really live in VR, I'd recommend the quest since it's so cheap compared to older headsets with comparable tech. If you spend as much on it as you might on an Index, you can upgrade its comfort and capabilities to make it a real contender for best VR headset.

Agent

Agent

• ACCESS [3] TOP SECRET

Personally, I have the original Oculus Rift and it does 90% of what the latest VR headsets do, just... badly. However, it's currently gathering dust as I don't have a computer capable enough to run it.  

I've been fortunate enough to get to try the Pimax 8k X ($2k for the bundle with controllers) and was totally blown away. I couldn't see any pixels/screen-door and the 200-degree fov filled my vision to its edges. Seeing the future of VR like that really convinced me that it will become as prolific as the smartphone or at least the home game console once the "jank" is ironed out. For comparison, the first-generation Oculus Rift has a distractingly low resolution and FOV that makes consuming content in VR feel like looking through a distant window with your face pressed against a screen door; in other words, you can forget about reading text or enjoying video. 

Also, you should know that VR "games" are typically very small experiences that don't really offer the best value for money outside of a few exceptions like Beat Saber and Pavlov. (They also are quite rarely discounted by any significant amount on the Steam Store) The "flatscreen" games that support VR, on the other hand, (especially simulations like DCS, Elite Dangerous, and various racing titles) are usually made leagues more immersive when played in virtual reality with the right accessory hardware (HOTAS) and provide playtime more commensurate with their cost. Direct ports like Skyrim/Fallout VR also benefit from this effect.

I'm waiting for at least the generation after the next to upgrade, as there is that whole catalog of tech demos they're calling games that I'll be occupied with even if they stop supporting my hardware after the next generation begins to age. Even though they typically are about 20 dollars for around 4-6 hours of gameplay each (on sale), I have really enjoyed the bite sized play sessions they facilitate. 

• 3 weeks later...
Field Agent

Field Agent

• [R] RESIGNED SERVICEMEN

I just bought the Oculus Quest 2. I know it is not the best, but the fact that my wife can play it without a computer and then I can connect it to my computer when I want is pretty cool. Its probably the best entry into the VR world.