Why Do You Think H5 Wasn't Good

WulfeBear

Auditor

Auditor

I have been on the forums for about 5 hours, so maybe I'm wrong, but my experience has been that a lot of folks didn't like or do not like Halo 5.

I just skimmed the surface of this conversation on Discord and feel it would be appropriate for discussion here.

In fact, maybe you like or even love Halo 5...You might also have a mental defect, but I'm not a doctor...

The reason I don't like Halo 5 is almost entirely because of the narrative...I love Master Chief, but I think after 4 games it was 343's chance to move on from him (which is what I thought the entire point of introducing Locke was for). Maybe you don't retire him, but you have him as a background player, someone you can see and interact with, but you don't play as and he certainly doesn't have a central role. I mean we are talking about someone who had a very centralized role and relationship with the Arbiter and Elites in general, they could have had him be the chief liason for humanity and the Arbiter.

I thought 5 was really an opportunity for 343 to take control of the narrative and explore someone else...And, they botched it...

The multiplayer is another story...is it just me or do the maps feel very blank canvasy...?

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

Halo 5: Guardians is better than Halo 4 but a let down in the months leading up to it. It was a let down because they shifted the story to a totally different narrative, they decided Hunt the Truth and the deserting AWOL John-117 wasn't worth following over the Cortana created story. The created were going to happen either way but to introduce Locke's team to follow Blue team wasn't the way to go about it. In the end its still not as bad as Halo 4 which design changes broke the story. Why does Chief have new armor from being in cryo sleep. That was just the beginning of the end for 343.

Outside of this the multiplayer is phenomenal, the competitive fast paced action makes for a larger skill gap in all of the decisions you have to make are not split second. A 1 minute clip can have over 100 decisions being made on movement, shots, line of sight and more. The game is fundamentally flawed though, with glitches like heavy aim (inconsistencies with shots due to connection) this still isn't fixed many years later and like all game studios they will not acknowledge it. Forge is absolutely crazy in Halo 5, as a standalone tool Forge is an amazing product. There are some crazy things you can do in that forge although it did not come on release.

Auditor

Auditor

I didn't mind 4...I didn't think it was good, but you had to address Chief, you couldn't just leave him floating out in space.

I'm still not a fan of 5's multiplayer, I've never seen 5's forge...

Junior Attendant

Junior Attendant

• [G] CONTRACTOR

For me Halo 5 didn’t feel like Halo. As a stand-alone title it had its merits, and certainly the clamber function was a more lore friendly addition to aid movement around the map. Spartan slams were just ludicrous however. Forge was significantly improved and was a wonderful tool in and of itself, in large part thanks to the shadow rendering. That all said the biggest issues I had with 5 were the terrible texture pop in and out. Bungie had that working very well for Reach and 343 just dumped it. Story wise it was a bit of a hot mess. Overall halo 5 didn’t grab me, between the wishy-washy story, frustrating RNG for armour customizations, pay to win weapon packs, crappy texture rendering and pop in/out, and the goofy mobility fluff. I’m hoping Infinite brings back a more old school halo experience.