Clan Alliances vs. No Clan Alliances

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

So, last night I got into an heated discussion about clan alliances and how they function around an clan. I won't give background to discredit this particular individual I had to lecture but rest assured it wasn't anyone who is in ONI and it is not someone relevant to the entire agenda of the Halo clan community.

In several cases we have seen alliances form only to be devoured by the strongest and most proactive clan within the alliance. Not in ONI's operational history do we know of an alliance that has lasted for more than 6 months without collapsing or becoming dysfunctional. I have never seen it and those who tell you that they're alliances span multiple years are most likely lying or have another definition for what an alliance is and how it functions.

First and foremost before I continue I'd like to say that I am completely against alliances, treaties and peaceful bullshit. I think that if you run an military organized group, you should be looking at war in every angle. I think that if you setup an treaty, your clan needs to commit mass seppuku because you signed away an right making you lesser than that of an clan without a treaty. Some could say that ONI's partnership is basically that we require you provide some form of entertainment in exchange we let you traverse our database.

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER

By GLATIX 

I agree with you for the most part. Alliances do not increase the military capabilities of a clan, but are useful in terms of keeping face in the community. Alliances are an informal way of maintaining a contact list of clans that can be "practice raided". While the same stature can be achieved without an alliance, its easier to justify fighting for practice against an ally, than fighting for fun against a neutral party (though I am not quite sure why). Though all that just goes back to what you mentioned about providing entertainment. 

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER

By BA Astorath

Alliances are useful to for reinforcements against an enemy where you may be low on troops, and to lure a clan into lowering their guard for a good sucker punch. So in my opinion alliances are useful, but not meant to last at all, and those who believe alliance means peace is foolish (BA Space Marine) but those who wont take an opportunity such as that is not as far sighted as they may like to think of themselves (no one in particular)

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
I agree with you for the most part. Alliances do not increase the military capabilities of a clan, but are useful in terms of keeping face in the community. Alliances are an informal way of maintaining a contact list of clans that can be "practice raided". While the same stature can be achieved without an alliance, its easier to justify fighting for practice against an ally, than fighting for fun against a neutral party (though I am not quite sure why). Though all that just goes back to what you mentioned about providing entertainment.

I wonder why that's sort of frowned upon. The fighting against neutral parties, we do for the most part practically all the time. Putting in the terms of a face in the community I had an epiphany that my perception and entire stance in this argument is because ONI itself collects intelligence and builds a list of contacts that maybe I didn't see the need of an alliance in that way. Our list of contacts however lack that emotional/communicational bond whereas some of these people have never spoke to us and or don't see us as friends LOL

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
Alliances are useful to for reinforcements against an enemy where you may be low on troops, and to lure a clan into lowering their guard for a good sucker punch. So in my opinion alliances are useful, but not meant to last at all, and those who believe alliance means peace is foolish (BA Space Marine) but those who wont take an opportunity such as that is not as far sighted as they may like to think of themselves (no one in particular)

Some part of me likes this, but another sees reinforcements as detrimental to the clan calling them itself. It kind of sends the message that they are not capable of fending off the enemy or have enough members. I oddly find satisfaction in admitting defeat where its evident, but I would rather admit a defeat or hold out with my own than call in some friends of another clan to help and outperform us (clan wise) by having numbers. Assuming everyones at the same skill, this allied clan helping has ample opportunity to poach members as to put it frankly why not right? lmao.

I also like to use my own resources, or ONI's in this case. An example would be in an alliance where they seek to jointly operate in an battle where in an team of 8 they fill in 4 spots. This would limit our members involvement and activity in said engagement because they are not enough space in the game. When fighting in a Raid and allies join they are filling in spots and acting out positions that could easily be done on our own. All the time when random people join our games and claim they are UNSC helping ONI (SpecWarCom and randoms most recently) its always been an principle of ONI's to not let them take over the tasks that our members can do.

This comes from my personal view on clans though, the extremist side where I believe all clans that are active, recruiting and training are a threat to ONI's interest no matter how stupid or weak it is as we compete in being active, recruiting and training and they are taking resources (potential members) away by doing so. I like to use the toilet paper analogy and how essentially all UNSC clans are toilet paper of different brands trying to sellout on the shelves of your nearest Target, Walmart and where ever else. My personal opinion and pull in ONI is to monopolize the clan community in that sense and be the only toilet paper brand in the market.

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER

By The Victorem IX

Most clans use alliances as an opportunity to be lazy, for example me and some people from my old clan decided to help another clan leader just because he was close friends with our clan leader, we join this guys clan and we creat an MP branch MP stands for military police for those who don't know.
As second LT and head of homeland I start evaluating some of his members, I give them the MP test and take them through MP boot camp, they failed the test didn't even get one answer right and they faild boot camp, they couldn't even stand in a single file line, they didn't know what left or right face was. and when I asked how long have you been in this clan? they answer "two or three week" and I'm like omg. We talk to their leader and tell him that they all failed and that they don't know jack shit and he's like "but you're supposed to teach them all that stuff" and I'm like we teach them the things that are relevant to our branch not basic boot camp and he's like "do you know who I am?" of course I do that's why I'm talking to you mate.
anyway after all that shit we kept getting complaints from his members that can't follow a single rule/law, "this guy did this and this guy did that" and the other officers keep underminding and shit and they keep getting into fights like 12 year olds. I had enough at that point and just left. one of us stayed behind because he was like " you only need one person to run the MPs" plus he's a kiss ass. a few days later that clans leader contacts our leader and says "oh you just joind my clan to steal my members" lmao like we would ever want idiots like them in our clan.

• 9 months later...
Field Agent

Field Agent

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

I myself am against alliances for reasons going: 

1. Can't call in for help: Most of the time, the average group can't get help from those you've allied alongside; even if they do help, they can't be used in Raids against your enemies - just as target practice.

2. Very informal: Every place I've traversed within the HCC, leadership is always mal-tempered and impulsive. I give props to those such as @CINC A Stone because my experience with him is always calm. I've been to every kind of person you can think of; but Stone is definitely helpful.

As I have stated, alliances within most clan communities are foolish. To be honest, all UNSC and ONI should be in touch with one-selves and always coherent. However, this is not nearly true and is just continual fragments of what was a convivial environment: Which will most likely never be than what it is to be ever again.

Agent Nyx