No More SPARTAN's in UNSC Clans

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

I get asked this over Discord from time to time and so just wanted to put out a written statement that others might be able to find in the vastness that is the internet. As we all know too, Discord is also not the best in long form discussion that this topic inevitably becomes. 

I'm asked first for my opinion before anything else and I want to share that first as it pertains to Halo clans and the goal of it all in the end. It adds context otherwise required to understand how I reach my conclusion. 

Clans are a social vehicle to get people moving to play games together for fun, to win or a set goal *conquest of other clans

Its truly simple as that, anything else is made up to add to this experience.

Spartan-II's and role playing as Spartans are unpopular now because most no longer serve a function outside of a regular clan member. Spartans are often associated with "Snowflake" a derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. In text book definition it fits the attitude of most renown players who claim the titles. In addition to this, it often detracts from any group that adds "Spartans" without a specific use case or prioritization (MLG/HCS team, BTB team, etc.) and even then its often sullied by misconduct or ego. 

So, why are there no Spartans or clans making conscription processes making up lore as they go? 

My answer is because there is no need for these kinds of people to play and enjoy the game around.

• 4 months later...
Attendant

Attendant

• ONI INTERN

I'm not surprised, Spartans in general aren't what they used to be like how they were back in 2010 and the older generations. Everyone wants to be a spartan, but no one can uphold the standards and responsibilities of becoming one in today's era. It's like going to the local store and seeing your generic cereal brand. Bland, boring, and no flavor, that's how looking at any person who roleplays as a Spartan is today. It's not needed, they only cause drama and, in some cases, create toxic clan experiences. Thats not welcomed and should never be.  

Special Agent

Special Agent

• ACCESS [3] TOP SECRET
  • FORUM BASIC MEMBER
  • MARINE CORPS ı E5 ı SGT
On 5/17/2023 at 8:01 AM, Accessing said:

My answer is because there is no need for these kinds of people to play and enjoy the game around.

I think we could still use some, special case rewardable status. But I'm bias I think we do it so right, its just hard to commit to training others how to be the best players.

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕
On 9/24/2023 at 12:22 PM, CAPT N Reibach said:

I think we could still use some, special case rewardable status. But I'm bias I think we do it so right, its just hard to commit to training others how to be the best players.

Don't get me wrong I like Spartans and I think ours definitely shine brighter and lead the space by example but its all the same. If you want to just have fun and play games together it just adds another layer of complexity that is otherwise not needed. 

• 4 months later...
Agent

Agent

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER
On 9/23/2023 at 1:42 PM, ADM T Fujiwara said:

It's like going to the local store and seeing your generic cereal brand. Bland, boring, and no flavor, that's how looking at any person who roleplays as a Spartan is today. It's not needed,

I definitely think they add to the community as an example or symbol: Not be arrogant and have taste, to not cause trouble or delve into things you don't know.

I argue that those who "claim" to be a Spartan are most likely not because of the drama they might or may not have started. Although, it is a necessity to show future generations how horrible the past 'failures' manifest themselves. Also, to make more people interesting and not bad at conversations, lore, or skill: Make it how it was before! Not all of it was good but the inside slander was certainly comedic.

Agent Nyx