Ban on TikTok

VADM A Reaves

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕
On 3/14/2024 at 7:38 PM, VADM A Reaves said:

Can one of my cyber friends explain to me the threat to US national security posed by TikTok?

Is TikTok spyware?

Is TikTok spyware? There have been claims that the TikTok app is spyware. The belief is that it collects the US citizens' data and shares it with the Chinese government. However, while TikTok does collect user data, there is no conclusive evidence to prove that it is spyware for the Chinese government.

While you use TikTok, the social media platform notes the exact device you've accessed it from. The platform also tracks your IP address, our message content, and your search history. In addition, it tracks what content you view and how long you view it.

Because of China's policies it is best to presume that the data is accessible to the Chinese government. It is well established that Chinese companies are required to share information with intelligence services under various laws, including the National Intelligence Law. If companies say they don't, well they are either lying. Because of how intricate business controls can be even subsidirarys are affected. 

Its arguable that Meta/Facebook has not done the same if not worse. Google is a pretty bad offender and even Microsoft itself collects all kinds of user data. 

• 2 weeks later...
Field Agent

Field Agent

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER

I don't know why people hark on TikTok for these kinds of things but not other companies like Google. Google claims that the search history is not recorded on any device, in the Incognito Mode.

However, this is not the case. Google is taking user data and giving honest responses in the advertisements that are shown to you, thus Google does record you in their "Private setting".

This is just a list that I have and many people already know but I still use it as a great example of "Read All Policies Before Signing" or "RAP".

a part of a long list*

Agent Nyx