Xbox games that allow you to change player names

Parzivell

Junior Attendant

Junior Attendant

• FORUM HEROIC MEMBER

Modern Warfare 2019, has a system where you can change your Activision display name so that others in the game see that instead of your Gamertag. This may all just be because it is cross-platform. I would however like to see more games do this, allowing the community to have the names they want in-game and be able to change it over time. People then could have their rank before their name. I do see a couple of problems regarding stealing identity if people are allowed to have the same name. How does everyone else feel about this and would you support it if Halo: Infinite had this?

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

• [R] RESIGNED SERVICEMEN
On 4/29/2020 at 4:50 AM, ODST J Sechemet said:

Modern Warfare 2019, has a system where you can change your Activision display name so that others in the game see that instead of your Gamertag. This may all just be because it is cross-platform. I would however like to see more games do this, allowing the community to have the names they want in-game and be able to change it over time. People then could have their rank before their name. I do see a couple of problems regarding stealing identity if people are allowed to have the same name. How does everyone else feel about this and would you support it if Halo: Infinite had this?

If I understand Call of Duty's implementation of this correctly it is that a unique ID is assigned to each person and can be toggled on and off for visibility. Unlike Discord which is always visible (however changes when you change names) you can report someone for impersonating someone else and use unique ID's to find someone. With Discord each chat message, server and image also has a unique string that they can administratively check on the backend of their service.